Friday 31 August 2007

Here he goes again...

While my current slightly unwarranted rest period is only halfway through (I leave Biel on Sunday 2nd of September), I can't wait to get back on the bike. Sure, I have the time to relax, and my ass is still sore, but this lying around and doing nothing is driving me crazy.

Since my host works during the day, I have had the apartment to myself, and naturally I have gravitated towards the internet. Some of the stories of adventurers and cyclists on REAL expedition trips (ie: Russia, China) have made me quite jealous. I have decided to make a line straight back to the U.K, probably Edinburgh, where I can work, save my pennies, and undertake an adventure such as the ones I've read.

Sure, there have been some hard parts of this trip (Two sets of Alps and the Rivieras), but looking back, I have found these hard stages the most rewarding and enjoyable. I yearn for actual wilderness cycling, where the isn't someone close by who can speak english, where I have to work out water and food plans, and where I won't see some sort of town every 2km.

Of course, I may regret it when I'm actually doing it, and I have no real experience in these matters, but you have to start somewhere. If I am to have my ego shattered, I'd rather have in shattered in the middle of Siberia.

So I'll be making my way from Biel to the Rhine and follow the great river to Amsterdam and over the sea to Britain. On the way I will pass through the Black Forest, and, come to think of it, that actually sounds a little adventurous....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOW YOUR REALLY FREACKIN ME OUT KYL,RUSSIA,CHINA,IM GONNA GO GREY REAL QUICK NOW.

Anonymous said...

shit I wrote a comment but somehow it wasn't published so here I go again..........
have you sorted out how to go to England? The ferry that leaves where we live only goes once a week, friday afternoon, 6 o clock.
there is also a ferry running from rotterdam ,hoek van holland. I think that one is cheaper but it takes you way further south in England...........
The one that leaves from ijmuiden goes to Newcastle. You have to book in advance, tell us if you need any help from us to book it in advance...............
do you still have that wheel with you? I can ask nicole's dad to fix it!
Good Luck,

Anonymous said...

Hey Kyle
I told you that the ferry from IJmuiden only runs once a week but Nicole just told me that is goe daily
Tess
check our weblog
www.fietsenzonderzijwieltjes.blogspot.com for our ozzie trip

Anonymous said...

Hope you finally get your adventure Kyle. As for me mine is almost over. Currently in Budapest and I should arrive in Istanbul in a couple of weeks. 4000 miles after starting in Oslo.
I guess i'll follow your trip from the comfort of my home in the future.

Good luck buddy

elduderino