Tuesday 31 July 2007

And now something completely different...

Everything is going fine with my health, the physical aspect that is. On the road I tend to talk to myself in a monty-python style english accent, but enough about that.

But it's not all spring chicken. I seem to be following a pattern. I wake up at 7:00am feeling like death, mainly because of my frankly crap closed-cell foam mattress. I stretch and have breakfast, and feel slightly less dead. Once I'm on the bike and in the zone, everything levels out. The next 90-100 km are fantastic, and I love it. Lunch comes and goes, most probably in the main square of the town closest to 12:00 noon.

However, recently, this is where things have turned pear-shaped. My goal of the day is usually a substantial town where I can find a campground or a place where I can stock up on food. The final 10km approach to these towns are horrifying. I end up getting lost, circling the town, and adding another 15km onto the total.

Repeat cycle.

However, the good outweighs the bad tenfold. I love the feeling that I dont know exactly where I'll be tomorrow, only that it will be within a couple hundred km's. I arrived in Vienna yesterday after a hard 3 1/2 day's ride from Prague. The city is equally as marvellous in architecture, but for some reason I feel more at home here. Too bad my pocketbook doesn't think the same way.

No comments: